Skip to main content

Sexual health issues or concerns

Diagnosis and management of sexually transmitted infections, HIV, and other related conditions including genital skin conditions, genital pain and sexual dysfunction, reproductive health including contraceptive advice.

Do I need sexual health care?

  • Have you had sex with someone new?
  • Have you got concerns?
  • Have you had sex without a condom?
  • Has someone you've had sex with told you they have an infection?
  • Did your condom fall off or break during sex?
  • Do you or your partner have sex with other people?
  • Do you share needles, syringes and spoons to inject drugs?

It's important you have a check up. Many sexually transmitted infections don't have symptoms, the best time to do a check up is two weeks after you've had sex with someone new. It's important you use a condom or not have sex until you have been checked out and have the all clear from your doctor or nurse. Click here() for information about where to get a test.

Why attend?

The following symptoms may indicate a sexually transmitted infection and we would suggest you get a check-up or ring for further advice. All patients will need to be spoken to by a nurse before being seen.

  • A discharge from the penis or vagina
  • Pain passing urine
  • Pain in the lower stomach, genitals or when having sexual intercourse
  • Lumps or swelling in the genital area
  • Genital sores or ulcers
  • Genital rashes
  • Anal symptoms relating to sexual intercourse e.g. discharge or irritation
  • Not all sexually transmitted infections have symptoms. We advise a routine check-up 2 weeks after unprotected sex or if you have had a change in partner.

If you have any of the symptoms listed above, you need to speak to a doctor or nurse today. It's important you use a condom or not have sex until you have been checked out and have the all clear from your doctor or nurse. Click here for information about where to get a test.

Can the Auckland Sexual Health Service see me?

The Auckland Sexual Health Service is a publicly funded specialist service. We are only funded to see some people, and work closely with GP’s and other health providers to ensure everyone has access to health care.

To access this service without a referral from your GP or other health care provider, you need to be  New Zealand citizen or resident, or hold a 2 year work visa (see the Ministry of Health criteria()())
AND answer yes to any one or more of the questions below:

  • Are you under 30 years old?
  • Are you Māori or Pasifika?
  • Are you transgender or non-binary?
  • Are you a man who has sex with other men?
  • Are you a sex worker?
  • Do you inject drugs?
  • Do you have a community services card?

Contact us to make an appointment