Find help

If you are in danger and need help now call 111. Ask for the police and tell them where you are.

If you need urgent medical help now call 111. Ask for an ambulance and tell them where you are.

If you have been sexually assaulted it is important that you get help which can include seeing a medical specialist for assessment of any injuries. Collection of evidence can also be undertaken by a medical specialist if you wish to report to the Police. Please do not hesitate to contact the police immediately (24/7) and remember, we are here to assist you during this time.


What is The Pohutukawa Clinic?

The Pohutukawa Clinic is a free, regional, specialist medical service for adults (of all genders) who have been sexually assaulted or abused. * We are a dedicated team of doctors and nurses with specialist training in sexual assault care and forensic medicine.

The team offers a 24 hour urgent medical service for acute forensic cases and runs a day clinic Monday to Friday 9am-5pm.

We are committed to providing the highest quality health service that is sensitive, appropriate, accessible and acknowledges social and cultural differences. 

* For younger adolescents and children please contact Te Puaruruhau on (09) 307 2860

What does the service offer?

  • Privacy and confidentiality.
  • You can self-refer to the service or be referred by police, crisis counsellors, GPs or other agencies.
  • Support regarding decisions about police reporting.
  • If you are choosing to report to the police, special forensic examinations can be done by our service.
  • A general wellbeing check to assess stress symptoms affecting your daily life, for example sleeping, eating, socialising and returning to work.
  • Medical advice and assessment about any sexual assault or abuse - recent or past. This can include sexual health checks and prevention of pregnancy & sexually transmitted infections (STI’s).
  • It is OK to just come and talk to us about these issues even if you do not want a medical exam, or are not yet ready for this.
  • Referral and liaison with community services such as counselling, social support services, your family doctor (GP), refuges and court support services.
  • Family violence intervention and support.

Please contact us if you have any questions that we can help you with.

Sexual abuse counselling is available.