Who we are
Auckland Sexual Health Service aims to provide sexual health care that is client focused, culturally appropriate and of an excellent standard. We are a specialist service offering free and confidential sexual health care including:
- diagnosis and management of sexually transmitted infections and other related conditions including genital skin conditions, genital pain and sexual dysfunction, reproductive health including contraceptive advice
- sexual health counselling
- adult sexual abuse service including the care of related medical, nursing and social issues
- sexual health education, including Peer Sexuality Support programmes for schools
We have an appointment system. You can contact us via phone or via our online form, requesting an appointment.
If you have symptoms and need to be seen urgently and have been unable to contact us, you can walk in and we will fit you in on the day where possible. If walking in, please arrive within the first hour of clinic (e.g. clinic starts at 9 a.m., please arrive by 10 a.m.). Please check individual clinic days and times on our Clinics page.
Male clients should hold urine for 2 hours before their appointment.
Results and treatment
Some results will be available when you are seen and treatment can be given if required. Confirmed results will be available within 10 days. If any of your results come back as positive we will contact you.
Our staff do provide training to other health professionals. Sometimes we have other health professionals sitting in during consultations. We always ask your permission in these circumstances.
The following symptoms may indicate a sexually transmitted infection and we would suggest you attend for a check-up or ring for further advice:
- A discharge from the penis or vagina
- Pain passing urine
- Pain in the lower stomach or genitals
- Lumps or swelling in the genital area
- Genital sores or ulcers
- Genital rashes
- Anal symptoms relating to sexual intercourse
Not all sexually transmitted infections have symptoms. We advise a routine check-up 2 weeks after unprotected sex or if you have had a change in partner.